All images on this page courtesy of Charlie Gair Photographic Collection
Forestry (location 31)
Large forestry plantations didn’t reach the Aird until the 1800s, when sawmills began to appear on many local estates. Timber was needed for a variety of purposes locally and for export, for example for pit props. Sawmills were located at Reelig, Ladystone, Lentran Farm (before 1904) and Newtonhill (after 1904, and called Lentran Sawmill). There were probably mobile units operating as well.
Image: 2nd edition OS map published 1904, Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland